about
Information about Menorca
explore
Things to see and do
information
Information of general interest
Buscar
Ingles
 
Español Catalán Alemán Frances Italiano
  Minorca Talayotic - World Heritage Nomination
Bienvenidos
Menorca Cultural
Menorca tourism official website
 
Share:   Publicar en facebook  Publicar en twitter
 
The bastion belongs to the walled precinct of Ciutadella and was built during the 17th century on the site of the old medieval wall dating from after the 1287 conquest. The medieval wall was in very poor condition following Turkish plundering in 1558. The bastion of Sa Font was completed in 1692 to protect the gateway of the same name, which was demolished in 1889. It has always been used to store tithes. Once its military role had ended, it passed into municipal control in 1881 and in 1902 it was leased for use as a factory for making acetylene lighting. Up until 1986 it was used as a tap water supply tank. In May 1995, after being restored, it was opened as the headquarters of the Municipal Museum of Ciutadella in Menorca.Bastion of Sa Font The bastion belongs to the walled precinct of Ciutadella and was built during the 17th century on the site of the old medieval wall dating from after the 1287 conquest. The medieval wall was in very poor condition following Turkish plundering in 1558. The bastion of Sa Font was completed in 1692 to protect the gateway of the same name, which was demolished in 1889. It has always been used to store tithes. Once its military role had ended, it passed into municipal control in 1881 and in 1902 it was leased for use as a factory for making acetylene lighting. Up until 1986 it was used as a tap water supply tank. In May 1995, after being restored, it was opened as the headquarters of the Municipal Museum of Ciutadella in Menorca. Read more
 

Bastion of Sa Font

The bastion belongs to the walled precinct of Ciutadella and was built during the 17th century on the site of the old medieval wall dating from after the 1287 conquest. The medieval wall was in very poor condition following Turkish plundering in 1558. The bastion of Sa Font was completed in 1692 to protect the gateway of the same name, which was demolished in 1889. It has always been used to store tithes. Once its military role had ended, it passed into municipal control in 1881 and in 1902 it was leased for use as a factory for making acetylene lighting. Up until 1986 it was used as a tap water supply tank. In May 1995, after being restored, it was opened as the headquarters of the Municipal Museum of Ciutadella in Menorca.




More information:

Location: Pla de sa Font
Town: Ciutadella
Owned by: Ciutadella Town Council
Managed by: Ciutadella Town Council
Telephone: 971 380 297
Website: www.ciutadella.org
Parking:
Hours: TOUR OF THE OUTSIDE

 
fotofotofotofotofoto
 
 
THE WEATHER IN MENORCA
VIDEOS OF MENORCA
THE WEATHER IN MENORCA
FOLLOW US ON