about
Information about Menorca
explore
Things to see and do
information
Information of general interest
Buscar
Ingles
 
Español Catalán Alemán Frances Italiano
  Minorca Talayotic - World Heritage Nomination
Bienvenidos
Menorca Cultural
Menorca tourism official website
 
Share:   Publicar en facebook  Publicar en twitter
 
The castle of Sant Antoni is the earliest trace of the village on the bay of Fornells, a strategic spot on the island that grew alongside the fort. Work on the castle began in 1637, during the reign of Felipe IV, and was completed in 1671. It was built on a rectangular layout. Each of the four angles had four bastions named after the four evangelists. Inside there was a modest chapel, storerooms, a large water tank, living quarters for troops and the quartermaster’s office.  In the centre was a small parade ground.Castle of Sant Antoni The castle of Sant Antoni is the earliest trace of the village on the bay of Fornells, a strategic spot on the island that grew alongside the fort. Work on the castle began in 1637, during the reign of Felipe IV, and was completed in 1671. It was built on a rectangular layout. Each of the four angles had four bastions named after the four evangelists. Inside there was a modest chapel, storerooms, a large water tank, living quarters for troops and the quartermaster’s office. In the centre was a small parade ground. Read more
 

Castle of Sant Antoni

The castle of Sant Antoni is the earliest trace of the village on the bay of Fornells, a strategic spot on the island that grew alongside the fort. Work on the castle began in 1637, during the reign of Felipe IV, and was completed in 1671. It was built on a rectangular layout. Each of the four angles had four bastions named after the four evangelists. Inside there was a modest chapel, storerooms, a large water tank, living quarters for troops and the quartermaster’s office. In the centre was a small parade ground.


The fort was demolished in 1782, shortly after the island was returned to Spanish rule, on the orders of Carlos III. The four bastions and the second floor were destroyed. The fort has now been restored and a number of underground galleries plus the remains of one of the bastions have been preserved.

More information:

Location: Castell street, Fornells
Town: Es Mercadal
Owned by: Es Mercadal Town Council
Managed by: Es Mercadal Town Council
Telephone: 971 375 002
Website: www.aj-esmercadal.org
Parking:
Hours: OPEN TO VISITORS

 
fotofotofoto
 
 
THE WEATHER IN MENORCA
VIDEOS OF MENORCA
THE WEATHER IN MENORCA
FOLLOW US ON