about
Information about Menorca
explore
Things to see and do
information
Information of general interest
Buscar
Ingles
 
Español Catalán Alemán Frances Italiano
  Minorca Talayotic - World Heritage Nomination
Bienvenidos
Menorca Cultural
Menorca tourism official website
 
Share:   Publicar en facebook  Publicar en twitter
 
A large coastal defence tower built in 1798 by order of General Stuart, conqueror and Governor of Menorca. The tower was built on the hill known as En Penjat (the hanged man) or “el Turco”. At first, it was called the Governor’s tower, then En Penjat (“the hanged man” in the Menorcan language).Tower of En Penjat A large coastal defence tower built in 1798 by order of General Stuart, conqueror and Governor of Menorca. The tower was built on the hill known as En Penjat (the hanged man) or “el Turco”. At first, it was called the Governor’s tower, then En Penjat (“the hanged man” in the Menorcan language).
The purpose of the tower was to defend the harbour entrance while the castle of Sant Felip was being rebuilt. When the castle was completed it was supposed to complement Fort Marlborough to prevent siege batteries being positioned facing the fort in the event of an attack.
Read more
 

Tower of En Penjat

A large coastal defence tower built in 1798 by order of General Stuart, conqueror and Governor of Menorca. The tower was built on the hill known as En Penjat (the hanged man) or “el Turco”. At first, it was called the Governor’s tower, then En Penjat (“the hanged man” in the Menorcan language).
The purpose of the tower was to defend the harbour entrance while the castle of Sant Felip was being rebuilt. When the castle was completed it was supposed to complement Fort Marlborough to prevent siege batteries being positioned facing the fort in the event of an attack.


The tower is a typical example of its kind, with the ground floor being used as gunpowder magazine and for storing spare parts, the middle floor for the troops and the upper terrace for artillery (cannons) and immediate defence. Over the original doorway, which was on the middle floor, the parapet surrounding the terrace rested on five corbels that left openings (loopholes) from which guns would be fired to defend the port and prevent the enemy from storming the tower.
The tower also had an earth moat around it. Attached to the moat were two dry stone walls, one running towards the sea and the other towards Fort Marlborough, about 500 metres away to the north. The wall was a link to the fort and a cannon was positioned on the section closest to the tower to protect this vital connection.
Restoration work carried out in 1989 removed the alterations made to the tower in 1946, when it was used as the goniometer position for the Vickers 38.1 artillery guns on La Mola (the goniometer is an instrument that would have been used to measure the angle of fire).

More information:

Location: Cala de Sant Esteve
Town: Es Castell
Owned by: Consorcio del Museo Militar de Menorca y Patrimonio Histórico Militar
Managed by: Consorcio del Museo Militar de Menorca y Patrimonio Histórico Militar
Telephone: 971 362 100
Website: www.museomilitarmenorca.com
Parking:
Hours: NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC

 
fotofotofotofoto
 
 
THE WEATHER IN MENORCA
VIDEOS OF MENORCA
THE WEATHER IN MENORCA
FOLLOW US ON