about
Information about Menorca
explore
Things to see and do
information
Information of general interest
Buscar
Ingles
 
Español Catalán Alemán Frances Italiano
  Minorca Talayotic - World Heritage Nomination
Bienvenidos
Menorca Cultural
Menorca tourism official website
 
Share:   Publicar en facebook  Publicar en twitter
 
The settlement of Trepucó is one of the largest on the island, covering an area of around 49,240 square metres. Today, only a small part of the site can still be seen, the two oldest buildings, the talaiots (1000-700 B.C.). Other remains include parts of the wall, two square towers on the west wall, the taula enclosure and traces of dwellings from the post-Talayotic period (650-123 B.C.).Trepucó talayotic settlement The settlement of Trepucó is one of the largest on the island, covering an area of around 49,240 square metres. Today, only a small part of the site can still be seen, the two oldest buildings, the talaiots (1000-700 B.C.). Other remains include parts of the wall, two square towers on the west wall, the taula enclosure and traces of dwellings from the post-Talayotic period (650-123 B.C.).
The taula enclosure is one of the biggest on the island, despite having been subjected to what, by today’s standards, would be considered clumsy restoration work. This is one of the sites excavated around 1930 by Margaret Murray, a British archaeologist who was a pioneer of scientific research on Prehistoric Menorca.
Read more
 

Trepucó talayotic settlement

The settlement of Trepucó is one of the largest on the island, covering an area of around 49,240 square metres. Today, only a small part of the site can still be seen, the two oldest buildings, the talaiots (1000-700 B.C.). Other remains include parts of the wall, two square towers on the west wall, the taula enclosure and traces of dwellings from the post-Talayotic period (650-123 B.C.).
The taula enclosure is one of the biggest on the island, despite having been subjected to what, by today’s standards, would be considered clumsy restoration work. This is one of the sites excavated around 1930 by Margaret Murray, a British archaeologist who was a pioneer of scientific research on Prehistoric Menorca.


The houses are perfectly visible on the west side of the settlement, due to excavation work carried out several years ago. They are multi-lobed with a central patio area and several rooms arranged around the outside. Looking at the settlement, it is easy to see that there was a clear division between the communal area (between the large talaiot and the taula) and the domestic area.
The houses near the smaller talaiot seem to have been abandoned at short notice, meaning that the archaeological dig uncovered exceptionally well-preserved domestic implements, now on display in the Museum of Menorca.
The larger talayot and the taula stand at the centre of a star-shaped fortification built during the 18th century.

More information:

Location: Camí de Gràcia - Trepucó
Town: Maó
Owned by: Consell Insular de Menorca (Government of Menorca) and Maó City Council
Managed by: Fundació Foment del Turisme de Menorca
Telephone: +34 971 157 800
Website:
Parking: Available
Hours:

 
fotofoto
 
 
THE WEATHER IN MENORCA
VIDEOS OF MENORCA
THE WEATHER IN MENORCA
FOLLOW US ON