about
Information about Menorca
explore
Things to see and do
information
Information of general interest
Buscar
Ingles
 
Español Catalán Alemán Frances Italiano
  Minorca Talayotic - World Heritage Nomination
Bienvenidos
Menorca Cultural
Menorca tourism official website
 
Share:   Publicar en facebook  Publicar en twitter
 
The museum collection is based in the Baroque convent of Sant Agustí, more commonly known as El Socors. Building started on the convent in the early 17th century and continued up until the mid-18th century. 
Access to the museum is via the entrance hall of El Socors church. The ground floor rooms in the cloister display various collections dating from 1858. Rooms 1, 3 and 4 contain archaeological finds from sites around the island from the pre-Talayotic era through to Roman times. Room 2 contains a collection of drawings and paintings, plus a number of engravings and prints from the 18th to 20th centuries and referring to Menorca. Room 5 contains a set of paintings by artist Pere Daura, donated by his daughter.  His work shows the influence of the last Impressionists, of Expressionism, Cubism and so on, and can be seen in a number of museums in Catalonia, France and the United States. In room 6 there is a set of specimens from the old Natural and Physical Sciences cabinet in the Diocesan Seminary plus several palaeontology, malacology (the study of molluscs) and entomology collections and dissected vertebrates.Convent and Cloister of Sant Agustí (El Socors) Museum Collection The museum collection is based in the Baroque convent of Sant Agustí, more commonly known as El Socors. Building started on the convent in the early 17th century and continued up until the mid-18th century. Access to the museum is via the entrance hall of El Socors church. The ground floor rooms in the cloister display various collections dating from 1858. Rooms 1, 3 and 4 contain archaeological finds from sites around the island from the pre-Talayotic era through to Roman times. Room 2 contains a collection of drawings and paintings, plus a number of engravings and prints from the 18th to 20th centuries and referring to Menorca. Room 5 contains a set of paintings by artist Pere Daura, donated by his daughter. His work shows the influence of the last Impressionists, of Expressionism, Cubism and so on, and can be seen in a number of museums in Catalonia, France and the United States. In room 6 there is a set of specimens from the old Natural and Physical Sciences cabinet in the Diocesan Seminary plus several palaeontology, malacology (the study of molluscs) and entomology collections and dissected vertebrates. Read more
 

Convent and Cloister of Sant Agustí (El Socors) Museum Collection

The museum collection is based in the Baroque convent of Sant Agustí, more commonly known as El Socors. Building started on the convent in the early 17th century and continued up until the mid-18th century. Access to the museum is via the entrance hall of El Socors church. The ground floor rooms in the cloister display various collections dating from 1858. Rooms 1, 3 and 4 contain archaeological finds from sites around the island from the pre-Talayotic era through to Roman times. Room 2 contains a collection of drawings and paintings, plus a number of engravings and prints from the 18th to 20th centuries and referring to Menorca. Room 5 contains a set of paintings by artist Pere Daura, donated by his daughter. His work shows the influence of the last Impressionists, of Expressionism, Cubism and so on, and can be seen in a number of museums in Catalonia, France and the United States. In room 6 there is a set of specimens from the old Natural and Physical Sciences cabinet in the Diocesan Seminary plus several palaeontology, malacology (the study of molluscs) and entomology collections and dissected vertebrates.


Room 7, Nuncio room, is the old antechamber to the convent dining hall. It has an interesting groin vaulted ceiling. The room contains a picture of St. Rosalía and some portraits of bishops of the diocese. Room 8 is the former Augustine monks’ refectory and currently the events room. This room is a good example of 18th century Menorcan architecture and is the work of master builder Joan Amorós. It contains some religious pictures, choirbooks and antiphonaries dating from the 17th to the 19th centuries, 16th century embossed brass plates and some ceramic pieces. Room 10 is the back of the church, behind the altar and contains a display of stone finds from a number of ancient buildings, churches and convents, such as headstones, fragments of inscriptions, keys of vaults, coats of arms and Gothic gargoyles from the Cathedral. It is possible to visit the Cathedral as well by obtaining a joint ticket.

More information:

Location: Carrer Seminari, 7
Town: Ciutadella
Owned by: Bishop of Menorca
Managed by: Bishop of Menorca
Telephone: 971 481 297
Website: www.bisbatdemenorca.com
Parking:
Hours:

 
fotofotofotofotofotofotofotofoto
 
 
THE WEATHER IN MENORCA
VIDEOS OF MENORCA
THE WEATHER IN MENORCA
FOLLOW US ON